Monday, June 10, 2013

Broome Family Beach Trip



It’s summertime folks. I remember as a kid my official summer vacation always started with our Broome family beach trip. I would finish up my last day of school on Friday and then Saturday we would be on our way. I would get so excited that I wouldn’t sleep well the night before and would be wide awake at the rise of the sun.




The Broome beach trip is such a special time for me to connect with my whole family not just my siblings and parents. It’s crazy that we have been taking yearly beach trips together since I was born.  Hilton Head Island is the stomping grounds for all 19 of us Broome’s. I have many irreplaceable memories from over the years; I’m reminded of my 3 allotted cream sodas that tasted like liquid gold, bike rides on the golf course where Tucker was chased by an Alligator, breakfast with the girl cousins and my grandparents, and countless laughs.

This about sums it up
 Because I am in summer school in Boone Monday through Wednesday, this year was a little bit different for me. I wasn’t able to go until Wednesday afternoon; however,  I am so thankful that my schedule worked out so that I had the time that I did. Last year, I was in San Diego and missed the whole thing…it made my heart hurt.

After my six-hour trek to the familiar island, I was greeted by the notorious gourmet meal that my grandparents make every year. I want to kick myself for not photographing it because it was literally phenom (short for phenomenal for those of you non abbrev peeps). My pops is virtually the grill master. He invented the Weber grill….ok maybe that isn’t true. Lets just say the man can twerk a grill, ya dig? My plate was filled with Filet Minion, Shrimp, sweet potato fries, and salad. It was a special night that ended with a beach walk.
In honor of the delicious meal they prepared
 Thursday morning, Madison, Sydney, Gracie, Lettie, and I were awoken by Grams and Pops at 6:30 for our traditional breakfast. These girls are so old. I mean really, why am I questioning time at 20 years old? I thought only old people did that. They are so beautiful and have hearts of gold. Boys, watch out I will take you down if you touch them. From breakfast, we went to Harbor Town where the breakfast tradition started. We enjoyed walked around the harbor in awe of the beauty of the huge boats. Then we rode by each house we have stayed in that we can remember.





I’m so thankful we got the breakfast in Thursday before the rain came. I mean seriously it’s a good thing I was more excited about spending time with the fam than the beach because the weather was not my friend. Friday was sunny though! We spent a special day out on the beach…soaking up the sun and serenity of the waves.  We ended the trip Friday night with pizza by the pool and a good ‘ole bike ride. It was a much needed break. I know how blessed I am to have such a Jesus loving, people loving family, but this past week served as reminder of God’s goodness to me specifically in this area. My heart is full, and I am beyond blessed by the people I get to call family.





It’s the coolest feeling when you just fit, belong, know your place. From the time I arrived until the end of the trip came, I could just feel how I fit so perfectly. This feeling rarely shows its face and stays in my life. There is always an ounce of discomfort, a wondering: “What is she thinking about me?” “Why is he giving me the stank eye?” Then it hit me, Christ desires me to feel this way in the skin He chose for me every single day. He wants me to love people the way that my family loves me and more importantly- the way he loves me. In the end, we are all family right? Don’t hear me wrong, I’m not going hippy every body love everybody on you. On second thought, I take that back I am. I just believe that everyone needs to feel what I felt at the beach with my family.  Loved. Accepted. Cherished. Join me in asking Jesus for help loving the family, Jesus way. 


P.S. I came back to hickory with fresh blueberries on da vine and lulu being cray in the trees...holla back






No comments:

Post a Comment